About Dr. Sunny R. Kim
Dr. Kim is the founder and president of Progressive Rehabilitation Medicine, PLC which is located on the 5th floor of St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Dr. Kim originally grew up in NJ, attended college at Cornell University in NY, and received his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.
Subsequently, he completed an internal medicine fellowship through John Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital in Baltimore and then his residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation(PM&R) at Rutgers/Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation which is considered one of the top training programs for this medical specialty.
Dr. Kim served as academic chief resident in his final year of specialization where he gained invaluable insights into the complexity of healthcare systems.
Dr. Kim is board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and is a Fellow of American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. He has special interests in the non-surgical treatment of spine, sports and musculoskeletal pain conditions.
Dr. Kim's Credentials
- June 2002-2005 -- UMDNJ NEW JERSEY MEDICAL SCHOOL, Newark, NJ
KESSLER INSTITUTE FOR REHABILITATION, West Orange, NJ
(Resident physician in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
- 2004-2005 -- Academic Chief Resident
- June 2001-2002 -- JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY/SINAI HOSPITAL, Baltimore, MD (Fellowship in General Internal Medicine)
- May 2001 -- UMDNJ NEW JERSEY MEDICAL SCHOOL, Newark, NJ (Doctorate of Medicine)
- May 1993-1997 -- CORNELL UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, Ithaca, NY (Major: Chemistry; Concentration: International Relations)
- June 2006-2016 -- Diplomate of American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- August 2005-Present -- President - Progressive Rehabilitation Medicine, PLC; Attending Physiatrist - St. Luke’s Hospital Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
- May 2007-2010 -- Medical Director - St. Luke’s Human Motion Institute - Spine Care
- November 2013 - Present - UnityPoint St. Luke's Hospital Interventional Pain Services (TENEX Specialist)
- Musculoskeletal, spine, sports and occupational medicine
- Diagnostic and Interventional Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Neurodiagnostics testing: EMG/NCV
- Neurorehabilitation: botulinum toxin injections, alcohol neurolysis, Intrathecal baclofen pump management
- Regenerative Orthopedic Medicine: platelet rich plasma, prolotherapy, deep tissue laser therapy, non-surgical spinal decompression
- Independent Medical Examinations
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Academy of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- AIMLA Certified